3 days away. I can't wait for the day to come. The mother of by-elections. An indication whether the Malaysian tsunami is still strong or the end of it. Many issues are at stake:
1. Najib's credibility as PM-in-waiting (Being linked to many scandals such as Altantuya Sharibuu, the purchase of the Scorpene submarine, privatisation of IJN by Sime Darby, etc...)
2. Oil royalty of Terengganu (a big chunk of it is still not returned - RM1.6 billion and possibly more)
3. Razali Ismail as a good UMNO fellow free of corruption and does his job well ignored by his own party.
4. Wan Ahmad Farid (BN candidate) carrying a lot of 'baggage' compared to Abdul Wahid Endut (PAS candidate) who has none. [It may have little bearing but it may make a difference in the end.]
5. Promises of 'pembangunan' [We have heard this many times. Development is good, but will it benefit the people (Taman Tamadun Islam, Masjid Kristal, Monsoon Cup)? Education is the most important in this matter]
6. Proxy war between Pakatan Rakyat and Barisan Nasional (See who will win the seat)
A reliable source from Batu Buruk has indicated to me that most of the issues above are mostly irrelevant to voters as they look at candidates first before party. His prediction is a 5000 majority to BN, although he favours the Opposition because KT people are different from most people. Maybe things might change a bit during this 11 day campaigning period. My prediction: 1000 majority to BN, as I take most of his words for it about KT people. He was born and bred there, so he knows better than I do.
Anything can happen this Saturday. So, I hope for a PAS victory although they are against the odds to win. We will miss the good deeds and visions of Razali Ismail as Deputy Minister of Education. He was of those rare UMNO fellows who is hard to find anywhere else.